November 23, 2007

Favourite Puzzle

I do not know how long this puzzle has been in my head. And i could not remember as to who the composer is.

Notes (added: 26 Dec 2007)
[[ Referring back, this problem is composed by English composer Horation Bolton (1793-1873), Chess Player’s Chronicle, 1841. I read about it in “The Oxford Companion to Chess” by David Hooper and Kenneth Whyld under “Composition” entry (the book is like a dictionary). It is a first prize given to me in Teachers + Students chess tournament held in my school where i emerged as a champion. ]]

That aside, i have tested it against names like Abdullah Che Hassan, Masrin Erowan, Kaushal Khandhar, Nik Ahmad Farouqi, Noorullah Omar etc. ( Ah, don’t ask me whether they were able to solve it or not, ok? That’s a secret haha! ) So, let’s see how you fare!
       

        

           White to move and win

What i like about this puzzle is that it remind me to be human. If you want to solve this problem, see and visualize! A mere calculation will not help! Believe me, even computer find it’s hard to see from the initial position - because they are not human. Haha.

I will provide the solution later. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment