December 13, 2007

Elementary! My Dear Watson!

This is a simple mating pattern where Bishop and Queen create a battery and launch the mating attack. Every beginner will easily find this kind of mating pattern.

        


During National Closed 2007 in Penang, in the first round with black pieces, i happened to reach at this position against a young opponent:

        

            Black to move

Remember the simple mating pattern above? How i wish my Bishop and my Queen is swapping squares so i can deliver mate at g2. (Wish! Wish! Wish! Wish! DO NOT stop wishing! Hehe!). In order to swap it, i would surely lost several tempi and in the mean time, my opponent would surely be able to find refutation to the attack since it is easy to see such combination.

However, upon looking at the position closely, i managed to find this: Bh1!. The battery is still intact but it has been reversed. With my bishop at h1, i threaten mate at g2. In the game, black could not do anything but lost pieces and resigned.

By the way, in several years, i’m sure he will catch me up and have his revenge! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment